Soups are the ultimate comfort food for me during the winter months. There is just something about being curled up in front of a fire with a bowl of this Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup. It really is like being wrapped in a warm blanket! Soups are also a great meal to prepare ahead of time to enjoy for a family gathering, like Sundays around the table. Now, full disclosure. It is not on any low-fat diet plan, nor will it ever be. But, that’s honestly what makes it so good. It’s a special treat and a recipe that I know will become a family favorite.
For a fun presentation, you can serve this creamy, broccoli cheese soup in bread bowls. You can also warm up some french bread to serve with your soup or pull out a beautiful wooden cutting board and create a charcuterie board filled with breads, crackers, and other finger foods to go with your soup. If you need some ideas for how to create a charcuterie board, I have a great post and video tutorial by my friend Laura Allen. Just select the picture below to watch her fun tutorial!
Creamy Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 carrot finely grated
- 1 cup frozen or fresh chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 stick butter
- 1 package Pioneer Country Gravy Mix
- 2 cups half and half
- 1/2 lb cubed, Sharp Velveeta cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh, grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp cajun season (or to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute' the onion, broccoli, and carrot in the butter and 1 ½ cups of water until the vegetables are soft.
- In a separate pot, prepare the gravy mix according to the package directions substituting half and half instead of water. Once the gravy has thickened, combine it with the vegetables.
- Add the cubed Velveeta and stir continuously until melted. Add milk or half and half to desired consistency. Usually 1-1 1/2 cups.
- Cook everything together, stirring constantly to keep from sticking, for about 10 min.
- Top with parmesan cheese.
Here are some other recipes you might want to check out from our Harvesting Home :